Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tek Tuesday - Shaker Card



Welcome Everyone to another TEK TUESDAY!!! I am your host Meredith Winston and I work with the fabulous designers at TCC to bring you new ideas, tutorials, techniques, trends, etc!!!

This week I chose something relatively simple but it's something I've always wanted to do but have never gotten around to it! A Shaker Card!!

Seeing as it's been really chilly this last week or so in the Northeast my thoughts have turned to Autumn which quickly turns to Winter around here! So I decided to use this ADORABLE snowman available in the new TCC shop!!!


I've included pictures of all the things that I assembled and may (or may not) use in this creation. All Designer Papers are from the Love, Elsie brand. The solid paper is an assortment of SU! and PTI.
I chose to use a 5.5 x 5.5 card. It's a 'go-to' size for me....I just love it! I used my Basic Grey magnetic mat (I use it for every project I make!!) and I measured in 1" on each side. Connecting the dots to make a square. I then used my Exacto knife to CAREFULLY follow my ruler to trim out the square.

This is the "frame" of your card.
I then measured the acetate that you need as the "glass" in your frame. You don't need to be as precise with this as the inside cover is covered in the end.
I used traditional "red liner" tape to adhere the acetate to the inside of the frame.
I then brought out my Copics, Marvy, Pilot and Sakura pens and set to coloring this cutie pie snowman!!
I LOVE how he came out!!!
I then took 3-D foam runner tape (it comes on a spool...as opposed to 3-D squares or dots). I made absolute sure that I covered corner to corner so that my "snow" aka glitter didn't come shooting out the sides or corners when the card was shook. I adhered the top of my picture first to make sure that my alignment was correct. I then shook in about...a tablespoon or so of chunky, silver art glitter. I then peeled the backing off of the other 3 sides of the 3-D tape and pressed my image firmly down. I shook any excess glitter off and.....
VOILA!!! You have your shaker card!!!
Now all I had to do was DECORATE!!! These papers literally warm my heart!! I have had quite a stash for a few years now and I ONLY dip into it when I have something special to make. =)
As you can see...I used my varying circle punches ranging from 1- 3/4" all the way down to 3/4" having the BEST time mixing and matching and unmatching and making an intentional mish mash of circles!!
I adhered the circles to each other with my standard tape runner adhesive and then added them to the frame with 3-D foam squares and 3-D glue dots (depending on the positioning).
I truly hope you enjoyed this tutorial and don't hesitate to post comments with any questions!!!

Have a crafty Tuesday!!

XOXO-

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Meredith, this is great! Super cute card! I make the world's biggest mess when I play with glitter. Thank goodness Stickles was invented! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tutorial Meredith! I love how it turned out and that paper is TDF :) Your mish mosh of circles really completes it and the glitter snow is super cute. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! your card is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, i just love your shaker card!!
    hugs,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this is so cool! I love the shaker and yet to have tried one! Great tutorial Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Tutorial Meredith! I intended on making a shaker card/craft with my daycare kids... never got around to it. Now that I see how easy it is I'll have to ty it...a simplified version of course. Love your card...all those circles of different dp's and the colours you chose look so good together.
    Fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how awesome! this is such a great tutorial! thanks meredith for doing such a wonderful job!

    xoxo
    sarabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG so super cool! When I get over this cold, I'm SO going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meredith,

    This card is so so so so adorable!!! I love it!!!

    Love all the circle and you did a great job on the tutorial!!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete